Apple TV 4 Features
Compared to Apple TV 3, the new model adds (or omits):
• Dolby Digital 7.1 (vs. 5.1)
• 802.11ac Wi-Fi
• HDMI 1.4
• HDMI CEC control
• No optical audio output (not good in our opinion)
• Improved tvOS interface and navigation tools
• Universal search across platforms including iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, HBO and Showtime
• 4K potential … maybe (HDMI 1.4, 802.11ac)
• A remote control with Bluetooth, enabling screen navigation via touch surface, Siri voice (dual mics) and gesture (accelerometer and gyroscope). Like the original, the new remote has an IR transmitter, as well as dedicated volume up/down buttons.
Most reviews by AV integrators that have gotten to play with the new Apple TV 4 have been positive. However, there are many questions about integration into existing sophisticated home systems, and usage with Android devices (is it even possible?).
The Apple TV 4 is expected to arrive at the end of October. Our recommendation: If you buy one & switch it out with the new Apple TV 4, keep the old device in case you have problems. You may need to put the original Apple TV back until you can get an AV specialist out to solve any compatibility problems.